[Soc-coordination] GSoC Project Idea: WPA2 support for the debian installer

Gaudenz Steinlin gaudenz at debian.org
Wed Mar 21 21:32:08 UTC 2012

Hi Max

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:39:40 +0100, Max Linke <max_linke-debian at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yeah I'm interested. Can you give a more detailed
> description on what is still left to do.

I added a description of the project to the wiki page [1]. I made the
topic a bit broader to include general improvements of the network setup
in debian installer. The project could even be extended to other areas
of the installer if time permits and there is interest.

As I said before I'm willing to act as the primary mentor but I would
like to have at least one co-mentor from the d-i team. Is there someone
who would like to fill this role?

Also feel free to improve the project description on the wiki page.

Best,
Gaudenz

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Improve_debian-installer_network_setup

> best,
> Max
>

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 15:45:14 +0100
> Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz at debian.org> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 11:17:48 +0100, Max Linke
> > <max_linke-debian at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I would like to know if it is a appropriate project for GSoC
> > > to add WPA2 support for the debian installer.
> >
> > As others already said, basic WPA2 support ist available in the
> > installer. Although the user interface and the feature set are far
> > from perfect. Currently only PSK is supported. There is no way to
> > scan for available networks.
> >
> > I integrated all this into d-i during last DebConf and as far as I
> > know not much work has been done since then. I would be willing to
> > mentor any student working on improving WPA support in the installer.
> >
> > Are you interested?
> >
> > Gaudenz
>

> --

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.