[Soc-coordination] Possible GSoC idea: (Near) real-time updates of (UDD) bug view

Nicolas Dandrimont nicolas.dandrimont at crans.org
Thu Mar 7 18:44:24 UTC 2013

* Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> [2013-03-07 19:07:35 +0100]:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:06:06AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > My plan would be to monitor BTS and archive changes using e.g. inotify.
> > That would be part of a rewrite of the core of UDD. I'm not very much
> > motivated about mentoring a student on that, unless it's a very good
> > student. (I plan to work on that myself at some point)
>
> [ snip ]
>
> More to your case, I fully understand having high expectations before
> being willing to mentor a student. So, how about devising a small
> exercise, which somehow measures the minimum skills you expect to be
> willing to mentor?  It might seem draconian, but after all we do not
> want to *force* anyone to mentor students they're not happy with. Some
> exercise like the above might be a compromise.

For the debexpo project last year, we had the students fix one of the "low
hanging fruit" bugs from our tracker. It helped us on several fronts: checking
that interaction with the prospective student was good, as a motivation check,
and of course as a raw ability check. AFAIK, the students didn't mind, it was a
nice way to introduce themselves to us.

Plus, we got free bugfixes ;-)

HTH,
--