[Soc-coordination] Two ideas: OpenJDK & scan-build

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Mon Mar 11 15:38:32 UTC 2013

Hello

Here are two ideas that I would like to propose (and would like to mentor)

1) Switch Debian to OpenJDK 7 and test with OpenJDK 8.
There are still some works to be done in term of fixing packages,
upgrading the upstream package, etc.
In the meantime, if we have time, I would like to work with the student
on the OpenJDK 8 and a potential rebuild (using the Amazon cloud and the
Debian account).

2) The second idea would be to perform a full rebuild of the Debian
archive using scan-build.
scan-build is a static C/C++ & Objective-C analyzer integrated with
clang. Basically, it can find bugs that a compiler cannot find.
Here is a result of an analysis:
http://scan-build.scilab.org/

Of course, this would not be one shot. It should be automatized and
should be linked against the current effort on firehorse.
https://github.com/fedora-static-analysis/firehose

Cheers,
Sylvestre