[Soc-coordination] Gsoc proposal from Charles

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Thu Mar 21 23:42:27 UTC 2013

Le Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 02:38:03PM +0100, olivier sallou a écrit :

> Student will need a cloud access for experiments, and this
> is unfortunately not free.
> Amazon provide a free (mini) instance but storage capacity of this small
> instance may be too limited for such experiments and setup.
>
> Does it include automatic image generation scripts (from a Debian
> desktop/server and not cloning an image) or "just" connecting to an Amazon
> instance, add some scripting and save as new image ?
>
> First solution would be a perfect solution (for me and others), but is more
> complex, expecially with amazon.
>
> If additional co-mentors are required for the project, I can help (if any
> student proposal is valid...).

Hi Olivier and everybody,

many thanks to all of you for proposing free access to Cloud infrastructures.

For the Google Summer of Code 2013, the entry I placed on the web is a call
for a bottom-up proposal.  If I fit as a mentor, I am intersted to mentor it.
If this call attracts a good student that matches better other mentors, I
will be happy to do nothing and use the resulting system at work :)  And of
course I am totally open to co-mentoring.

Some projects proposals this year are more top-down, and they only need to
attract a good student to get good chances to get a slot.  With the call I
made, we need a good proposal made by a good student, which will be rarer.  My
interest is to see what students can propose and use this as a starting point.
But if you have a clear vision of what could be done, please do not hesitate
(in consultation with the Debian GSoC team) to add a more detailed proposal.
Also, while I have a strong interest for bioinformatics in the Cloud, if at the
moment of giving slots, there is a stronger proposal for scientific computing
or image management, then it will make sense to select this one if slots are
few.  I will not bite or rant; the key outcome should be a student who
succeeded and wants to keep contribute in Debian, regardless of what the
project produced.

Lastly, I made the following addition to the wiki page.

    The project's deliverable must be useable on Free platforms, and the
    proposal needs to explain which infrastructure[1] will be used during the
    development.

    [1] https://lists.debian.org/CAEwx8oSp6Lu15Cxg2tAhNtfMEPvtLgwQG6jFLvS8XRi2w3Tb4Q@mail.gmail.com

I hope it clarifies enough, and that the link will help the students to find
the propositions for sponsored access.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy