[Soc-coordination] Bits from the GSoC admins: student application period ends tomorrow at 1900UTC, timeline for evaluating proposals

Nicolas Dandrimont nicolas.dandrimont at crans.org
Wed May 1 23:17:59 UTC 2013

Howdy GSoCers,

 - Students:
    • submit your application to Melange NOW, update the wiki summary
    • you have until May 17th to improve your proposal
 - Mentors:
    • slot allocation requests on May 6th, please tell us if you don't want one
    • we want you to rank proposals by May 17th
    • please keep your rankings private to students

We're less than two days away from the end of the student application period.
If you're a student, and if you haven't done so yet, that means that you need
to register to melange and submit your application there NOW. If you're a
mentor, and you have been contacted by students, make sure they have submitted
something to melange and to the wiki.

To make it clear, if you have not submitted anything to melange by the
deadline, you won't be able to participate.

The melange student application deadline is on May 3rd, at 19:00 UTC. To get
that in your timezone, use the "date -d @1367607600" command in a terminal.
Don't wait for the last minute, as you can always iterate on your proposal
afterwards!

To help us make sure every student has submitted his application on melange,
please link them on the wiki summary page[1].

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications

The deadline for slot allocation requests is on May 6th, and we will likely ask
for one slot per project where a student has manifested interest (which would mean
18 slots for now). Please tell us over the weekend if you don't feel like we
need to ask for a slot for your project, it'll save all of us some time.

We have set the deadline for evaluating student applications on May 17th,
leaving us a few days to sync up before deduplication start (yes, I wrote May
22nd earlier, but really that's May 17th). We encourage students to work on
improving their proposal and engage with their mentors until that time.

Google asks us to keep the information on whether a student will be accepted or
not private until they announce the accepted projects on May 27th. We kindly
ask mentors to keep that info private, and to give all the students a chance to
improve their proposal.

We will contact the mentors privately to ask for details on the proposals they
received, and how they rank them, during the 18-19 May weekend.

Don't hesitate to followup on-list if something is not clear!

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont, for the Debian GSoC org admins

linux: the choice of a GNU generation
(ksh at cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)