[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 Week 6 Report: Android Tools in Debian

Komal Sukhani komaldsukhani at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:32:26 UTC 2015

This week I have started with packaging of Android Plugin for Gradle.

Finding source of plugin caused lot of pain. tools/build.git repository of
Android sources
contains readme for Gradle plugin[1]. On the other hand according to
Android Tools
Project Site [2], source of plugin is in tools/base.git. But git contains
changelog of
Android SDK tools. After lot of surfing on internet and studying the git
sources, I found
that actual source is present in tools/base/build-system.

Later I found that plugin has dependency over SDK tools v24.2.0 and
currently Debian
has SDK tools v22.2. I tried building the plugin using existing tools, but
plugin used various
methods and classes that are introduced in higher version. For example
getAbis() and
getDensity() methods of ddmlib.jar, which are introduced in v23.1.0, are
used. Therefore
we need to update androidsdk-tools package first.

Sources of Android SDK tools is spread over two repositories tools/base and
tools/swt and
current Debian androidsdk-tools package is fetching sources from both these
repositories.
My colleague Kai-Chung and I were thinking instead of updating existing
package  by fetching
sources from two repos, it would be easier to maintain and update package
in future if we
create two separate packages for tools/base and tools/swt. Final decision
will be taken by
mentor Hans. As he was busy in last week, he could not guide us. Till then
I have started
with packaging of tools/base as it will be required in either case.

[1] https://android.googlesource.com/platform/tools/build/+/master/readme.md
[2] http://tools.android.com/build/gradleplugin