[Soc-coordination] Report from Arturo Borrero, week 2, Improve the Debian mipsel port

Arturo Borrero Gonzalez arturo.borrero.glez at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 07:02:32 UTC 2015

# GSoC 2015 week 2 report: Improve the Debian mipsel port

This week I've been working with these packages:

 * libuv [0]
 * samtools [1]

Still I can't be fulltime with GSoC, given I have some unexpected
University duties :-(

[0] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libuv&arch=mipsel&ver=0.10.36-1&stamp=1430177717
[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=samtools&arch=mipsel&ver=1.1-1&stamp=1411612103

## libuv

I continued the work from previous week in this package.

After scanning the upstream issues tracker [2], found one issue
related to mips/mipsel [3] which turns out
to be exactly the same issue I'm having in my local builds.
There seem to be a commit upstream which addresses the issue [4].

So, I consider this package done in terms of my GSoC tasks.

[2] https://github.com/libuv/libuv/issues
[3] https://github.com/libuv/libuv/issues/335
[4] https://github.com/lucab/libuv/commit/d03bd8a1b7560ced63f045f66fe59a886819e37e

## samtools

Evaluating all the gathered info from the previous week, I decided to
try if the new 1.2
upstream version can be built on mipsel. The new packaing will require
me additional work
for the next week.

## workflow

My workflow is:

 * investigate the package (buildd logs, debian bug reports, upstream bugs..)
 * reproduce the issue locally
 * contact upstream regarding the issue if neccesary
 * try to generate a patch and open required debian bugs if neccesary

I'm using pbuilder inside the ci20 board to emulate a clean Debian sid
environment.

Some commands I'm using:
 % dget -x <dsc url>                            # donwload the source
code of the package
 % sudo pbuilder create --distribution sid      # create the pbuilder
environment
 % sudo pbuilder build package.dsc              # build a source package
 % quilt {new|refresh} mipsel.path              # generate a new patch
 % dpkg-source -b pkgdir/                       # generate again the
source package for pbuilder

--
Arturo Borrero González