[Soc-coordination] weekly report 3: Improve the Debian port mipsel

Arturo Borrero Gonzalez arturo.borrero.glez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:26:14 UTC 2015

# GSoC 2015 week 3 report: Improve the Debian port mipsel

This week I've been working with these packages:

 * libuv [0]
 * node-raptor [1]
 * libspiro [2]

Still, I can't be fulltime with GSoC yet, given I have some unexpected
University duties :-(

[0] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libuv&arch=mipsel&ver=0.10.36-1&stamp=1430177717
[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=node-raptor&arch=mipsel&ver=0~0git20130108-1&stamp=1376446961
[2] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libspiro&arch=mipsel&ver=1%3A0.3.20150131-2&stamp=1430325106

## libuv

After discussing with my mentor (Anibal), I continued working with libuv.

I tested the commit [4] to see if it solves the mipsel issue and we can
upload early without waiting a new upstream release.
Unfortunately, the patch doesn't apply to the current source package.

The submitter of the upstream fix, and the maintainer of the package is
the same (Luca Bruno). I don't know if it worth opening a Debian bug.

[4] https://github.com/lucab/libuv/commit/f12e8068c8afd0e4231cd3203228c99ebabc46f5

## node-raptor

There is a RC bug #719367 [5] for this package which seems to be the
reason of the FTBFS on mipsel.
I've built the package locally and was able to reproduce the issue.

Patching the package to switch from node-waf to node-gyp results in another
different build error: 'Bus error' which will required further investigation.

[...]
touch debian/stamp-copyright-check
touch debian/stamp-upstream-cruft
cd src && CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
-Werror=format-security -Wall" CXXFLAGS="-g -O2
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall"
CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" LINKFLAGS="-Wl,-z,relro" node-gyp
configure
Bus error
debian/rules:44: recipe for target 'debian/stamp-node-gyp-configure' failed
[...]

[5] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=719367

## libspiro

libspiro FTBFS on mispel. There are no bugs reported about this.
I was able to reproduced the build issue locally.

Contacted upstream and opened an issue at github [6]. We are working
together to address the issue.

[6] https://github.com/fontforge/libspiro/issues/9

## elinux.org ci20 debian jessie

I discussed with my mentor (Anibal) the idea of documenting at
elinux.org [7] the problems
found in the ci20 to upgrade Debian 7 Wheezy to Debian 8 Jessie.

However, I didn't find time this week to do the required tests.

[7] http://elinux.org/CI20_Distros#Upgrading_to_Debian_8_.2F_Jessie

--
Arturo Borrero González