[Splashy-devel] splashy talking over unix domain sockets

Tim Dijkstra tim at famdijkstra.org
Wed Aug 16 10:04:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

OK, I couldn't resist trying to get splashy to talk over unix sockets,
instead of udp;) I think I have it mostly working, but have a few
questions and comments.

Advantages:
* This uses abstract sockets, which means they live in a name space which
  doesn't live on a filesystem, only in the kernel. This means, I think, that
  we don't have any propblems in intramfs.
* Will of course only work locally.
* We can get the credentials of the calling program, so we can deny access to
  non-root users. Or only to the 'splashy' user, or whatever.
Disadvantage:
* The credential thing only works on linux (and BSDs, but not in the code I wrote now)
  Not sure this is a problem actually... Aren't we targeting linux 2.6 only?

So now for the questions:

Is splashy supposed handle strings which are several commands separated
by newlines? Looking at the code I think it does now, but my code
currently breaks that assumption. It accepts only one command per
message (with a maximum size of 1024 char btw).

Oh, final question, what was the precise symptom of the 'initramfs bug'
again?

So I got commit access to svn, but do you usually sent patches for
review? I'm a bit reluctant to just commit and break trunk without
discussion first;)

grts Tim