[Splashy-devel] splashy talking over unix domain sockets

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 14:02:12 UTC 2006

Tim,

Follow Otavio's advise. Break "trunk" only of course ...

And yes, we target 2.6.x kernels, but also keeping in mind that some
BSD users have attempted to port Splashy before. So, try to always be
as POSIX as you can be so that you don't break other UNICES.

Keep up the good work.

Now, the bug in initramfs currently is this:

1. splashy opens many filehandles at start
2. splashy closes all uneeded filehandles, but a few things stay
behind: 1 thread listening for keyboard events, 1 thread listening for
events from the FIFO (which opens and close the file in NON-IO block
mode)
3. when init takes over, "something" sends a kill signal to all
processes that started from initramfs. splashy's dfb lib handles this
for us stopping splashy. splashy-init then restarts splashy at
/etc/rcS.d/S01splashy-init (so you see two fade-in effects in
succession)
4. if splashy handles it's own signals (instead of directfb lib) then
the boot process gets stopped and splashy just sits there waiting...
the wait is because something else at /etc/rcS.d changes the fonts of
the console from whatever they were to whatever they should be (UTF8
for some of us -- unicode. Or back to ASCII). console-screen.sh and
some other .sh that I can't recall now... see splashy-init comments

This last thing also happens if splashy is not killed by "something"
after init takes over (pivot_root or whatever it is that switches init
from initramfs to /dev no the real filesystem. see linuxrc)

Hope that helps.