[Splashy-devel] Commit UNIX sockets

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu Aug 17 12:17:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:21:10 -0300
Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:
>
> > I also had a look at the start up script S01splashy, but I didn't had
> > the stamina to fix it not starting splashy a second time;) So I just
> > rudely made it not start splashy at all for testing (didn't commit it).
> > If somebody wants to have a stab at that, please do.
>
> My idea is remove that huge code (init code) or write it on C.

Yes, IMHO it tries to do to much things. For the case where splashy is run
from initramfs it only has to start the client-daemon and that's that.

> Most of init script are using lsb init functions when available so
> might be easier to write one to provide this functionality instead of
> all black magic done currently. What others think?

I had the precise same idea! But I just grepped through /etc/init.d and
there's still lots of scripts that do not use them. We could of course
try to start a campaign to get it in to lintian/policy and submit
patches...

The idea would be to depend on lsb-base and supply
/etc/lsb-base-logging.sh which is designed to allow alternative
implementations of the lsb log_* functions. We could then use the info
we get via these functions to update the progress bar or display nice
status messages. (I would have my splashy rather update a small text
box, saying for example: Starting Network [OK]. And then, after clearing
that line: Starting exim4 [ok], etc.) Much nicer than the progressbar IMHO.

Oh, something separate: the initramfs in the debian package checks for
vga in /proc/cmdline. This is broken, I'm using lilo and do not have vga
on the kernel cmdline.

grts Tim