[Splashy-devel] Commit UNIX sockets

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu Aug 17 15:08:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:38:16 -0300
Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:21:10 -0300
> > Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:
> >>
> > Yes, IMHO it tries to do to much things. For the case where splashy is run
> > from initramfs it only has to start the client-daemon and that's that.
>
> Well, yes and no. It currently does the math to see how many steps
> will be need until the progressbar is complete. We'll need to do that
> somewhere.

Sure

> >> Most of init script are using lsb init functions when available so
> >> might be easier to write one to provide this functionality instead of
> >> all black magic done currently. What others think?
> >
> > I had the precise same idea! But I just grepped through /etc/init.d and
> > there's still lots of scripts that do not use them. We could of course
> > try to start a campaign to get it in to lintian/policy and submit
> > patches...
>
> Yes, indeed. But in that case we might have a way to handle the return
> status as we do nowadays and use it to progress the bar. Just in case
> we lack the lsb support for a script.

? I don't understand what you're trying to say...

I was just thinking that we do not need all scripts to use the lsb-functions,
it just means we have less granular updating of the progress bar. If for example
we have four init scripts, and the first one hasn't but second has lsb support.
We just update the progress bar to 50% after the second one. If the first one
gains lsb-functions we will have a smoother bar (0, 25%, 50%, etc), but
as long as a few scripts use log_msg, it will work non the less.

> > The idea would be to depend on lsb-base and supply
> > /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh which is designed to allow alternative
> > implementations of the lsb log_* functions. We could then use the
> > info we get via these functions to update the progress bar or
> > display nice status messages. (I would have my splashy rather update
> > a small text box, saying for example: Starting Network [OK]. And
> > then, after clearing that line: Starting exim4 [ok], etc.) Much
> > nicer than the progressbar IMHO.
>
> That's the way usplash works nowadays but it's very simple and now so
> flexible as splashy is and can be made. Nevertheless I think we can
> use this information in verbose console mode instead of read tty
> directly.

I was not saying it should be the standard mode, but it should be configurable.

Does usplash has a progress bar? If they do we can see how they calculate the
progress bar steps.

> > Oh, something separate: the initramfs in the debian package checks for
> > vga in /proc/cmdline. This is broken, I'm using lilo and do not have vga
> > on the kernel cmdline.
>
> Luis changed it yestarday. Hope it works better now.

Ah, good, tnx.

grts Tim