[Splashy-devel] Commit UNIX sockets

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 03:26:56 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I committed to trunk some changes that make splashy use UNIX sockets.
>
> It all seems to work well on my machine. I can splashy_update from the
> initramfs, also splashy stays alive after pivot_root.
>
> I also had a look at the start up script S01splashy, but I didn't had
> the stamina to fix it not starting splashy a second time;) So I just
> rudely made it not start splashy at all for testing (didn't commit it).
> If somebody wants to have a stab at that, please do.
>
> Splashy stills seems to freeze at some point in the boot process. I
> don't think it is unicode_start.
>
> So if you guys want to have a look at the code, and test it, that would
> be nice;)
>
> grts Tim

Sometimes you are able to see when the whole TTY gets garbled. It
happens during unicode_start thought it might just be the stuff that
gets the console current information. I thought at some point that
this was related to the keyboard event thread that Splashy uses to
"listen" for events from ESC and F2. But turning off this thread
didn't fix the problem. Now that Splashy uses a socket, we have to
re-evaluate this and see if we can close all possible handles. This
brings me back to the idea that perhaps using a UNIX socket yields the
same problem that the FIFO one did: you need to open a handle from the
filesystem in order to "listen" for commands. But, turning the
"listening" portion of Splashy stopped the boot process as well, so,
this doesn't seem to be it either.

We should systematically test this until we find exactly what it is.
The guys at #ubuntu-devel (in particular Infinity) helped me greatly
to figure out what the problem could be. The problem could be avoided
if "pidof splashy && exit" is added to console-screen.sh (/etc/init.d)
and keymap.sh. Now I wonder though, could it be possible that when
console-screen.sh runs and executes:

reset_vga_palette ()
{
        if [ -f /proc/fb ]; then
           # They have a framebuffer device.
           # That means we have work to do...
            echo -n "]R"
        fi
}

The boot process stops? Why on Earth  does the "colors" of the console
get reset using this code?

Just an idea...

I'll be back this Sat to work on these issues.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html