[Splashy-devel] Re: dapper livecd w/splashy

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 07:30:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 17:47 -1000, Johnathan Davis wrote:
> Vincenzo,
Johnathan :D

> Thank you for taking time to reply to my message. I have been trying to
> understand the inner workings of casper, and how it differs from grub. I
> personally think the Ubuntu folks don't want this to be modified simply
> because there is no information avail at the forums, or anywhere on the
> Internet. Everytime a noob asks how to remaster Ubuntu, they are pointed
> to a dead link or told to use another distro altogether. Are we creating
> another M$? I believe so..
No, even if it appairs near the M$ policies, ubuntu is far away from
them.

> Somehow after a year of programming, I completed my own kubuntu-based
> distro, but badly need splashy to work with isolinux. The other distros
> like Mepis, Gentoo, and Debian Live make it sound possible.
Yep, in these livecds you can install and remove packages via apt-get
and then create your own distribution

> I am using customize_initrd script, from uck1.1 to make changes to
> casper's initrd. Since there is little difference between the installed
> initrd.img.xxx file and casper's initrd.gz image, I thought swapping the
> contents would allow me to boot normally. But nothing seems to work for
> me. The only way to boot is to leave usplash in initrd.gz, which
> overrides splashy.
UCK 1 is a good script, but it has not too much features. You can solve
this situation:
I have the alternate dapper cd and i tried to mount it as loopback:
 sudo mount -o loop ubuntu-6.06-alternate-amd64.iso test
Then i can navigate underthe ./test directory into the iso image. At
this time, if you see a normal Gnu/linux
structure: / /home /dev /var /proc etc. contact me that i'll give you a
sh script that links your iso image to the system to have a root shell
and internet access.
Then you can do:
apt-get --purge remove usplash
apt-get install splashy
and then, modifing casper/isolinux to pass vga=791 to the kernel it
should work.

nb: i never did it, so it can be wrong. if i'm not wrong usplash uses
initramfs and not initrd, please verify it.

> I know you are busy, and I appreciate your help. I wish there was a easy
> way to get splashy to boot from the Dapper Live DVD. I would be happy to
> do whatever it takes to finalize this DVD. Hope to talk to you soon.
I'm waiting your answer...
Now a ubuntu live cd/dvd is going to wake up my interests. It's a good
way to know splashy and find new users.

--
Vincenzo Ampolo <vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com>
http://www.nanofreesoft.org