[Splashy-devel] DirectFB, SetBackgroundImage

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:38:27 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really a DirectFB expert, but is there any reason we don't use
> the SetBackgroundImage method on the primary layer to set the
> background? That way we don't have to think about restoring the
> background when we cluttered it with a textbox or progress bar.

We can definitely try this. But i'm thinking since we are already
painting our image in the primary layer, there are no lower layers to
write images to. Is there?

In a two-layer setup, we would be able to write our background image
in a lower layer (say primary) and then do an overlay that has the
progressbar and our textbox. But in reality this doesn't work well for
everybody as not all video cards support multi-layers. At least this
is my understanding on this. Pat (from Xandros) would be able to
expand on this...

> Also is there a reason we draw to a window instead of the primary
> surface? (C|Sh)ould we use a window for the textbox? The progress bar?

We used to just draw to the primary surface, but then I realized that
you can't set the opacity levels on this layer/surface without using a
window. Perhaps I should revisit this problem now that the opacity
levels code is working.

I learned on how to do this by using the XDirectfb code from the
directfb.org site. ;-) then the guys on directfb-users corrected me on
how to initialized the layers because it still wasn't "fading"
correctly.

All in all, the fade effect is just too ugly for most people (or too
slow). So I don't know if it's even worthy.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html