[Splashy-devel] Splashy moving forward

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Sat Aug 4 19:51:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:54:36 -0300
Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> > Though, we still have a few concerns.
> >
> > First, the binary size is quite huge (splashy is about 2M in our full
> > static build), which will make our initramfs consequently bigger, and
> > may lead to slower boot times.
>
> You can disable the libraries you don't need. You can even disable
> formats to make the binary smaller if need.
>
> > Then, there may be an interval when non-graphical kernel messages are
> > displayed, between the bootloader screen and splashy start. How do
> > other distributions manage to get a fully graphical boot?
>
> You do it on initramfs scripts. You start it as early as possible and
> then use the init script to communicate with it to make the progress
> bar to grow or reduce.

The only problem is that we still haven't solved an interaction problem
with /sbin/init.

If we try to use splashy from initramfs it will take 100% CPU and hog
the boot process. Why this happens I still don't know but it seems to
have to do with /sbin/init and libdirectfb. For testing I've stripped
splashy down to the barest minimum, which is basically some calls to
directfb, and still it happens.
But it doesn't happen with upstart (init replacement from ubuntu).

grts Tim