[Splashy-devel] Splashy moving forward

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Sun Aug 5 21:32:48 UTC 2007

On Thu 26. Jul - 06:41:34, Luis Mondesi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Very good news!
>
> If you direct yourself to bootsplash.org, you will notice that
> Splashy's mention there as "superseding" bootsplash kernel patch and
> user-space tools!
>
> That means that we will be getting a flood of new users.
>
> There is also a hint that Mandriva as well as SuSE will join Xandros
> and start to use Splashy as their default boot splash system!

That's true! Just to give you an update for those who might be interested:

Starting with openSUSE 10.3, which is targeted for October 4th, we'll use
splashy along with the userspace suspend and resume tools for suspend to
disk. This requires fully functional splashy packages which are already in
our buildsystem and available from the so called FACTORY tree.

At this point in time, openSUSE still uses the kernel patch from
bootsplash.org for usual boot and shutdown. That's just because we're
already heading Beta1 the upcoming week which doesn't give me much time
for incisive changes anymore. And it has the nice side effect that we're
having a graphical image immediately after grub finished.

> We need all the help we can get from the rpm-based distributions so
> that we can start posting spec files together with our release
> tarball. This will allow them to make binary packages for their
> distributions.
>
> Thanks for all of you who take a lot of time to make sure Splashy
> keeps moving forward.

Same from me!

Regards,
	Holger