[Splashy-devel] Splash during kernel startup

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Wed Jan 24 20:26:26 CET 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:14:44 -0800
"Eric Moret" <eric.moret at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I have followed the README and it does work fine for me once the kernel
> is started.
> Now, what I want is to get a splash screen at the time the kernel boots up
> and before it starts the init process like gensplash or fbsplash do.

Nothing can start before the kernel...

The way to have minimal kernel output and earliest splash screen is to,
first of all, use 'quiet' on the kernel command line. And second, to
start splashy from initramfs. The latter works, but there is a bug that
makes it horrendously slow.
Just using quiet however, will already minimize you console output
exposure.

grts Tim