[Splashy-devel] 0.3.1 beggins ;-)

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 03:49:26 CET 2007

On 1/30/07, Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:12:55 -0200
> > Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> >> I got it but I think we could have most of them disabled by default. I
> >> just want to check with all what's the others opinion? We can make all
> >> them as compile options :-D
> >
> > If we do dynamic linking we can just ship the relevant modules on it.
> > At the time we build the initramfs we can just determine what kind of
> > images the theme has and install only the modules we need.
>
> Yes but for now we still need the static version.

I thought we were going to drop JPEG support and compile statically to
see if this solves the 100% CPU usage during boot from initramfs, and
not as a permanent thing.

Now, we certainly do not need to ship Splashy compiled to use all
possible formats. We can just have configure options to enabled other
formats for other people (vendors?) to enable the ones they like the
most.

Me personally I like JPEG because I've seen the best result from this
format. All my JPEG pictures are way smaller than their PNG counter
part. However, If we are going to stick to a format as the "default"
and the way that Splashy gets ship in binary format (say for vanilla
debian), then PNG is definitely the best format, but not only because
of its library and the license behind it. JPEG is definitely better.

That way the binary is probably smaller and easier to debug...

Talking about Debug... we need to add a better way for debugging
Splashy. Something that we can pass as an argument like: /sbin/splashy
--debug boot. Instead of having to recompile... Something for another
thread?

--
Luis Mondesi

"Feliz el hombre que ha hallado sabiduria y el hombre que consigue
discernimiento, porque el tenerla como ganancia es mejor que tener la
plata como ganancia; y el tenerla como producto, [mejor] que el oro
mismo" (Prov 3:13-14).