[Splashy-devel] Splashy moving forward

Olivier Blin blino at mandriva.com
Thu Jul 26 12:38:15 UTC 2007

"Luis Mondesi" <lemsx1 at gmail.com> writes:

> There is also a hint that Mandriva as well as SuSE will join Xandros
> and start to use Splashy as their default boot splash system!

Hi,

Right, we consider switching to splashy for the next Mandriva
release.

I have added a few patches, available at
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/splashy/current/SOURCES/
- fix segfault when DirectFB initialization fails:
  splashy-0.3.3-checkvideo.patch
- fix build with Werror by workarounding a freopen() warning:
  splashy-0.3.4-warnings.patch
- fix static linking with fbdev (quite distro specific):
  splashy-0.3.3-dfblink.patch

The specfile is available here, if anyone is interested:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/splashy/current/SPECS/

Though, we still have a few concerns.

First, the binary size is quite huge (splashy is about 2M in our full
static build), which will make our initramfs consequently bigger, and
may lead to slower boot times.

Then, there may be an interval when non-graphical kernel messages are
displayed, between the bootloader screen and splashy start. How do
other distributions manage to get a fully graphical boot?

And finally, we used to have background images in TTYs with
bootsplash, and we'd like to keep them. According to Luis, this can be
achieved in userspace with a DirectFB-aware daemon that does not steal
focus on TTY. Is there any prototype of such an application?

Thanks!

--
Olivier Blin - Mandriva