[Splashy-users] Re: just a sad blank screen

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:03:47 UTC 2006

On 8/26/06, Matteo Zandi <matteo.zandi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Luis <lemsx1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does this need a user/password to connect?
>

> sorry port is 1980, so
> ftp://kate.homeunix.net:1980/download/mov00961.mpg (ftp
> with anonymous access).

Ah, that explains it... Downloading...

> > In any case, there are a few things we can try. First, you are not
> > running Splashy from initramfs, right? (cat /etc/default/splashy |
> > grep -i initramfs)
>

> hum, probably not, it's splashy standard install. I actually uninstalled it,
> I wanted to try another one, see
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2006-May/001429.html

Sounds good. We used to enable Splashy from initramfs by default. I'd
say uninstall with --purge and re-install the official package from
Debian Sid.

I guess minimalist-usplash can be merged into usplash itself. no need
for two projects to do the same thing.

> > Then, you can try to turn off the fadein/fadeout effects in your theme
> > (edit /etc/splashy/themes/default/theme.xml)
> > And finally, what display manager are you using? KDM, GDM, XDM? You
> > might need to send "splashy_update exit" right before your display
> > manager starts.
>

> Thanks for your tips, I'll try them and the report back here.Matteo

No problem.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html