[Splashy-users] Issue with Splashy install on Lenny - resolved - hope this helps others

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:20:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Kushal Koolwal
<kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  And how do you use splashy from initramfs? Do we have to make any changes
> to the default setting of splashy once we installed it?

When you install Splashy from a debian package, it will automatically
do everything it needs to be included in initrd.img the next time you
run: update-initramfs -u

> Also I am not using initrd image during boot. Not sure if that has to do
> anything with initramfs.

If you are not using initrd, then this does not apply to you.
initramfs is just another format for initrd. One that uses a
compress-RAM format to run from a RAM disk without really
uncompressing first (check cramfs and others on wikipedia).

Then in that case, there is nothing wrong in having Splashy startup
from /etc/rcS.d/S*splashy. If Splashy interferes with udev or any
other script, simply move the symbolic link so that Splashy starts
after this service. Use ls to sort the files so you can see the order
that the scripts are executed.

cd /etc/rcS.d/
ls S*
S02splashy ??
S03udev

Then you must rename S02splashy to S04splashy or something like that.

The later Splashy starts, the more risk of seeing text during boot
that you will have. If this does not bother you, then go for it.

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur
fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------