[Stardata-common-devel] Re: SpaceChart for GNOME 2.x?

Miguel Coca miguel at cocabarrionuevo.com
Wed Mar 1 23:07:57 UTC 2006

Hello,

> I'm part of a small Debian team maintaining some astronomical software,
> including SpaceChart. (Full disclosure: just to let you know, I am also
> upstream author of StarPlot, which is a very similar project.)

Seems like a cool program. It's good to know someone has kept working
on this kind of thing after all this time.

> We are wondering whether you intend to release a version of
> SpaceChart that will compile with GNOME and GTK 2.x libraries? I am
> not sure that we have the manpower to port it ourselves; nor do we
> have any wish to fork your work.

Since I've not touched Spacechart for so long, and I've got myself
involved in other projects, I really doubt I'll get back to it in the
near future.

> Support for GNOME / GTK+ 1.2 in Debian is getting very sketchy.  Now
> that even GnuCash, one of the last major holdouts, has moved to GNOME
> 2.x, the current GNOME 1.2 maintainer intends to give up maintenance of
> those packages [1].  This will put us in a difficult spot with respect
> to continuing to support SpaceChart, since calls for the complete
> removal of GNOME 1.2 from Debian are likely only to increase [2].

Yes, I am aware of the situation.

> Please do let us know if there is any plan to transition SpaceChart to
> GTK+ and GNOME 2.

Okay. As I said, I have no plans for the near future. I wish I had the
time, but I'm too busy right now. So, if you have to remove it, go
ahead.

> P.S.  On a different topic, did you ever get an official statement from
> François Ochsenbein regarding the suitability of the CCDM star catalogue
> for use in Free software?

Wow, I was pretty sure I had, but I can't find anything. His last