[Surfraw-devel] Re: About surfraw! ;-)

Christian Surchi csurchi@debian.org
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:44:59 +0200

[Forgive the CCs, but I'd like to be sure about all the people involed
in the discussion]

Il gio, 2003-08-14 alle 14:30, Ian Beckwith ha scritto:
> Attached is a tar.gz of the elvi (imdb, cddb, freedb, bbcnews) I
> wrote, plus a patch for google to add -l for "I'm feeling lucky".

are this patch now in cvs? sorry but I can't check now...

> I also wrote one to search www.ntk.net, but it's a bit pointless
> really, as it's not the sort of site you need to search much. If
> anyone really wants it, I'll upload it.

I like ntk.net! eheheh! ;)

> Looking at the BTS (#131661), someone else has written an imdb elvi (what's
> the singular? elvis?) Feel free to use his if it's better, I won't be hurt :)

Did you check them?

> If upstream has abandoned the package, and we are improving it, we
> should think about a non .deb release for those poor souls who haven't
> seen the light. tar.gz at least, maybe rpm if we are feeling generous.

As I've said we can go on with upstream development too!

> When alioth is back, shall we switch to a mailing list or the forums?
>
> Looking at the BTS reports for surfraw, some people seem quite
> vehement that it pollutes the namespace, ie dumps loads of things in
> /usr/bin, with some names (eg "translate") that clash with other packages.
>
> I've been pondering this, and I think I have a solution:
>
> We keep surfraw and W in /usr/bin, but move the elvi to
> /usr/lib/surfraw
>
> We also modify surfraw so it can accept the name of an elvi eg:
>
> surfraw google -options search terms

ah, I'd need a course because I'm so used to write "google foo" on
command line! eheheheh

> If (like me) you want to keep the current behaviour, you can simply
> add /usr/lib/surfraw to your path. This would be similar to
> xscreensaver, which keeps its screensavers in /usr/lib/xscreensaver.
>
> As the elvi are platform-independent scripts rather than compiled
> binaries, maybe they should go in /usr/share/surfraw, what fits best
> with the FHS and debian policy?
>
> any comments?

mmm...