[Surfraw-devel] Non-/usr/lib elvi installs

James Rowe jnrowe at ukfsn.org
Sat Mar 25 19:01:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

  For non-`/usr/lib` elvi installs the man pages references non-existent
files and the bash-completion script doesn't work.

  The attached, incredibly invasive, patch fixes these problems.  The reason
the patch is mightily invasive is quite simply because it is near impossible
to achieve the correct results with configure generated output.  And anyway
generating build files during configure is a bad idea even when it works
correctly because it breaks rebuild semantics.

  To maintain the current system of using '.IN' suffixes for make generated
files the patch renames `elvi.1sr.in`, `surfraw.1.in` and `surfraw.conf.in`.
Also because the bash-completion is now required to be built to take the
correct path substitutions it has also been renamed.

  I've also corrected the makefile to distribute the bash-completion script
for dist targets.

  I completely understand if you'd prefer the problems be fixed without file
renames to preserve CVS history :/  If so I'll redo the patch keeping the
current names, and just use add a new suffix rule.

  Please note, there *are* changes to the renamed files, resorting to diff
and patch just makes it difficult to highlight them.  It comes down to
s,/usr/lib/surfraw/, at ELVIDIR@, though.

Thanks for your time

Jay