[Surfraw-devel] 2.1.6 ready for upload, now has test suite

James Rowe jnrowe at ukfsn.org
Mon Jul 2 19:58:18 UTC 2007

* Moritz Muehlenhoff (jmm at inutil.org) wrote:
> Ian Beckwith wrote:
> > Moritz: if you are still having a problem with CVS, I've put a package
> > at http://nessie.mcc.ac.uk/~ianb/debian/surfraw_2.1.6.dsc
>
> Thanks, great work and uploaded.

  Yeah, thanks.  This morning was actually my first experience with
OpenSearch, and I have to say it is pretty cool.  And the introduction
of a testsuite is great too!

> Installing surfraw 2.1.6 required 28 new Perl modules just for the
> opensearch elvi. I've uploaded it for now, but it breaks the KISS
> principle surfraw has been following.

  Would a change to using Python and opensearch[1] be better/considered?
I've been trying to figure out what to do about the new opensearch
functionality since I read Ian's mail.  The problem being that Gentoo
doesn't even package most of the required modules, and there aren't any
packaging requests in the BTS for many of them either which means their
introduction would be a hard sell.

Thanks,

James

  1. http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/opensearch - No extra external
dependencies required beyond a base Python install, although it would be
possible to have it use a system feedparser instead of its slightly
modified included one.