[Surfraw-devel] surfraw git tracking question

Ian Beckwith ianb at erislabs.net
Tue Nov 10 20:07:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 01:08:35PM +0100, Sumant Oemrawsingh wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> I was wondering if there is a reason that Makefile.in in both the elvi and
> test directories are tracked. The youtube diff I just sent to the list does
> not contain them. But they should be constructed from the Makefile.am in those
> directories, correct?

I gather best practice is to not keep Makefile.in & configure in the
VCS, and to use something like prebuild (or autoreconf) to generate
them, but I've always kept them in the VCS, partly because that is how
the original surfraw author did it, but mostly due to lingering mutual
suspicion and distrust between me and autotools.

As far as I know, the only downside to doing it this way is that it
bulks up diffs somewhat.

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at erislabs.net - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA