[Surfraw-devel] user elvi directory?

James Rowe jnrowe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:24:00 UTC 2009

* Sumant Oemrawsingh (soemraws at xs4all.nl) wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. I was actually already there; the surfraw code is not
> difficult to read and quite straightforward, so it didn't take me more than a
> minute to get it working. But since you posted this patch, I'll use it
> instead. Especially since you have nicely separated out local and global elvi
> in the elvi list, which I didn't do in my version.

  I figured that separate lists would be the simplest way to show that
locally named elvi would shadow global ones, as I suspect in most cases
this is likely to be the behaviour you want.

> Can you (i.e. are you allowed to) push this back to the main branch, or will a
> developer do this (could someone maybe respond to this thread?)? I think it's
> definately worth it, since aside from being able to test elvi with the normal
> distro-packaged/managed surfraw, there are some search engines I would like to
> add and use, but that don't make sense in surfraw itself (e.g. for internal
> websites). I can hardly believe we are the only ones who would find it useful.
> So it would be nice to see some confirmation of this from developers. Surfraw
> is an awesome tool if you spend most of your computing needs in an rxvtc and
> quickly need to look up something. I hope the developers find this patch
> useful and will include it.

  I don't have push access, but this isn't normally a problem and it has
never concerned me before.  Ian is normally quick to pounce on requests
and patches, so I'm sure it will get picked up or commented on Real Soon
Now(™).

Thanks,

James