[Surfraw-devel] More output configuration options

James Rowe jnrowe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:26:03 UTC 2009

* Sumant Oemrawsingh (soemraws at xs4all.nl) wrote:
> I also had an idea of expanding some elvi to also dump the html as parsed by
> lynx or so, to the screen; great for wikipedia articles! No need even for
> opening and running a browser, but read the article in the comfort of the pager
> of your choice. I'm not sure, though, if this fits in the current way that
> surfraw is laid out, or if it would be better to use surfraw to print the url
> and have another surfraw-like collection of scripts to do the retrieving and
> dumping. Anyway, this is something to be discussed in another thread, if at
> all. I'll look into it a bit more and will post a new message here when I have
> it figured out.

  I can see it being useful, and I've actually used surfraw in a similar
way a number of times in the past:

    1. Edit some code in vim, and find myself needing to look up
       something in a RFC
    2. "C-w n" to open a new window, and then basically
       ":r!SURFRAW_text_browser_args=-dump surfraw rfc 2822" to dump the
       RFC text in to the new window
    3. Edit more code until the next mental block, and return to step 2 ;)

  You may even have nudged me enough to clean it up and post
a plugin, I guess we'll see if that works out.

  A different method could be to set a new browser setting in
~/.surfraw.conf and use it by quoting the variable name to the -browser
option.  Definitely could be easier though.

Thanks,

James