[Surfraw-devel] release imminent, please test

Ian Beckwith ianb at erislabs.net
Thu Jun 16 02:54:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

I realised it is over a year since the last surfraw release.
I've fixed all the outstanding tests, cleared my todo list
and prepared a release candidate.

Please test it!

I've just changed the build system to be (hopefully) more portable, so
anyone with access to a system with a non-gnu make (eg *bsd, solaris),
please test on that system.

I'll wait a week or two to make sure there are no problems,
then release.

Tarball:

http://erislabs.net/ianb/tmp/surfraw-2.2.8b1.tar.gz

Debian binary packages:

http://erislabs.net/ianb/debian/surfraw_2.2.8-1~b1_all.deb
http://erislabs.net/ianb/debian/surfraw-extra_2.2.8-1~b1_all.deb

Debian source package:

http://erislabs.net/ianb/debian/surfraw_2.2.8-1~b1.dsc
http://erislabs.net/ianb/debian/surfraw_2.2.8-1~b1.diff.gz
http://erislabs.net/ianb/debian/surfraw_2.2.8.orig.tar.gz

Known problems:

* alioth

Alioth has recently had its services distributed over two machines,
and they are still fixing the breakages. The elvi successfully searches
alioth, but search on alioth itself is still broken. Hopefully when
they fix it the elvi will magically start working.

* netbsd

netbsd searches that use google sitesearch have *just* gone down,
complaining I'm sending automated queries. If this isn't a transient
issue, I'll look into it further before release.

* cia

Victims of LulzSec, apparently. I assume they will be back soon.

Recent changes:

2011-06-16  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* Fix more make(1) portability problems.
	  Either I am horribly confused or netbsd make
	  (or at least pmake in debian) doesn't support '$<'.
	  Switched to '$?'.

2011-06-15  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* scitopia, worldwidescience: fixed URLs.
	* Fixed make portability problems.
	  We cannot portably combine single suffix rules (foo.IN->foo)
	  and separated dependencies so we have to explicitly specify
	  all the .IN rules. The solution we used for this until now was
	  specific to GNU make.
	* Removed Makefile.include, no longer used.
	* './configure --enable-opensearch' now only controls
	  installation of the (direct) dependencies for opensearch,
	  not opensearch itself, as opensearch now falls back to
	  using a remote reflector if opensearch-discover(1)
	  and opensearch-genquery(1) aren't found.
	* yandex: fix test.

2011-06-14  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* musicbrainz, codesearch, rpmsearch: Fixed URLs, options and
	  tests. The sites have all changed significantly which means
	  both new options and no-longer-supported options.
	  Codesearch has gone all ajaxy, so I've implemented the options
	  via the search string, e.g. adding " package:foo".
	  Disabled codesearch.test, as it now needs javascript.
	  Codesearch on both google.com and google.co.uk was acting up,
	  so I've pointed it at google.fr.
	* Removed filesearching elvi, it now requires a 'Referer:' header
	  to work. There is no browser-portable way to specify a
	  'Refer[r]er:' header, plus we should probably take it as a hint.
	* Tweaked debian packaging.
	* Updated NEWS.

2011-06-13  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* w3link: fixed URLs.

2011-06-10  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* Fixed ctan.
	  Option -doc has been replaced by -id.
	  Options are no longer mutually exclusive,
	  you can now do (eg) ctan -d -i -n texlive.

2011-06-09  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* fixed tests: debwiki, ntrs, wayback.

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at erislabs.net - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA