[Surfraw-devel] A Cunning Plan, and other changes

Ian Beckwith ianb at erislabs.net
Fri Mar 4 19:51:07 UTC 2011

[ resent due to alioth problem last night ]

Hi,

I had an idea. Elvi that need complex dependencies (eg opensearch) can
instead use a cgi script on a remote site to produce a redirect to the
appropriate URL.

This led to the following changes:

* opensearch: if opensearch-discover and opensearch-genquery aren't
  installed (or if -r is used), the search url is instead obtained
  from http://erislabs.net/ianb/webtools/opensearch/
  This allowed me to move opensearch from the debian surfraw-extra
  package to the main surfraw package (leaving opensearch-discover
  and opensearch-genquery behind).

* wikipedia: -d option searches wikipedia *and* deletionpedia,
  via http://erislabs.net/ianb/webtools/wpdp/. It's almost
  like the deletionist's reign of terror never happened.
  Deletionpedia only supports the english (en) wikipedia.

I'm hosting these cgi scripts on my own (modest) server at the
moment. I doubt the load will be significant but if so I might have to
find another home. If anyone has ideas for CGIs like this and needs
hosting, get in touch.

I created a new elvi: bugzilla. It searches all bugzilla sites given a
base URL, plus has aliases for kernel, mozilla, gnome, kde, apache,
freedesktop, eclipse, redhat, mandriva, gentoo and novell's bugzillas.

I also made a bunch of smaller changes. Changelog:

2011-03-03  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* opensearch: new option -r, uses redirector at
	  http://erislabs.net/ianb/webtools/opensearch/ instead of calling
	  opensearch-discover and opensearch-genquery. -r is selected
	  automatically if those tools are not installed. This enables us
	  to ship opensearch in the main surfraw package and it still
	  functions if the dependencies are not installed. See
	  debian/changelog.
	* wikipedia: new options:
	  + -d, uses a redirector at http://erislabs.net/ianb/webtools/wpdp/
	    This redirector searches for a page with that name at wikipedia.
 	    If not found, it searches deletionpedia, if not found there
	    it falls back to a normal wikipedia search.
	  + -f=w|d, -fallback=wikipedia|deletionpedia
	    Implies -d. If page not found at either wikipedia or deletionpedia,
            whether to fallback to wikipedia search or deletionpedia search.
	* google:
	  + support video, maps and news.
	  + new options -i, -v, -m, -n, shortcuts for
	    -search={images,videos,maps,news}.
	* debcontents, debpackages: update docs for new arches and
	  distributions.
	* bugzilla:
	  + fix url so it works with redhat & eclipse bugzillas too.
	  + enable -s=redhat.
	* ixquick, w3css: fix tests.
	* opensearch, wikipedia: add redirector tests.

2011-02-20  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* New elvi: bugzilla - searches various bugzillas,
	  defaults to kernel.
	* pgpkeys: add more options, support more
	  keyservers, default to sks-keyservers.net.
	* bump version to 2.2.8.
	* test/Makefile.am: add cablesearch.test.

2011-02-19  Ian Beckwith  <ianb at erislabs.net>

	* lastfm: fix url to avoid a redirect that mangled
	  args with spaces.
	* debbugs: add -s as an alias for -search=src.
	* surfraw.IN: (finally) update copyright year to 2011.
	* remove traces of port elvi from build system.

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at erislabs.net - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA