[Surfraw-devel] Surfraw-2.2.8 native sed on OSX may break things

Panther Martin mrsmiley98 at lycos.com
Thu Oct 13 23:47:13 UTC 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, Ian Beckwith <ianb at erislabs.net> wrote:

>Can you narrow down the problem further? If gsed isn't native, I'd
>rather try and work round the problem, or maybe switch to awk.
>
>I've tweaked the regex slightly in git master, it is now:

Thanks for the reply.
I hope I turned off that html formatting.
I'm really sorry I spammed your dev list with that.

I'm almost certain now that your 2.2.8 code is ok.
It hangs only on lib/surfraw/rae trying to parse a handsome ñ character.
If I remove that n with tilde from the rae file, then it all works perfectly.

My environment is bash on OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, with
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
So I can handle those characters, but can't explain why my sed
chokes on that. It looks to be a BSD sed from 2009, with a man
page date of 2005. Well, thanks again for helping out.