[Teammetrics-discuss] Never ending nntpstat problems

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Dec 6 10:02:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 11:40:42PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Since this error was occurring from `nntplib.py`, a quick search
> showed that `EOFError` is raised when the connection is closed
> unexpectedly. Which I guess is quite possible given that we seem to be
> fetching 70000+ articles and maybe Gmane disconnects us because of the
> server load (or the connection closes for foo-bar reason). I did face
> this exception when starting nntpstat sometimes (error: server load,
> try again later) and we handled that. But once the connection was
> created, I never noticed the error which we are getting now.
>
> I will handle this exception and that is perhaps the only thing we can do.

It is specifically important to know how to proceed after such an error
occured.  To what state we need to remove data from the obtained cached
data and the database to make sure no data will be left.

> The web parser seems to be somewhat ready (see another mail related to
> that), but I will fix nntpstat also.

First concentrate on the method which seems to be "more promising" to you
according to your experience with both methods.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de