[Teammetrics-discuss] Phase I: The config file format

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:16:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

So for the config file, as decided, we will be using the ConfigParser
module which comes with the Python stdlib and uses the RFC 822 (Debian
standard) header-like format. An important point that comes up is the
design of the config file. Here are two possible cases which I feel
should work but you can suggest as you want.

1. The name of each mailing list goes in a section of its own.

Example:
    [mailing-list1]
    url = mailing-list1-url

    [mailing-list2]
    url = mailing-list2-url

The benefit of this approach is readability and we can have custom
rules per each mailing list.

2. There is one section per base URL and each mailing list is stored
using comma-separated values.

Example:
    [alioth]
    baseurl = baseurl-for-alioth-lists
    lists = mailinglist1, mailinglist2, mailinglist3

However, with this approach, comma-separated values may get long and
sacrifice readability.

So which one should we go with?

--
Sukhbir.