[Teammetrics-discuss] Next phase: Handling spam

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Jun 10 06:47:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 02:21:25AM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> We keep the email addresses then.

OK.

> > So the only chance we have is to have another lookup list - perhaps
> > this should be rather done in the database itself rather than in a
> > config file.  Following this strategy enables to change the names
> > using an SQL UPDATE query.
>
> But again and sorry for bringing this -- doesn't it make this manual?
> An UPDATE query will have be to manually done for each author?

No, you do not need to do this manually you just do a

    UPDATE <table> SET name = <unique-name-from-lookup> WHERE ...

depending on how we do the table layout.  The only manual intervention
is the creation of the lookup table (and this is the only way I see).

> In most cases:
>
>     'charles-debian-nospam', 'plessy', 'charles-guest'
>
> A split on '-' will give the same name (but not plessy). I mean, I was
> wondering if we could do better.

I doubt that there is any way to do this better.  I have seen so many
variants how people spell their names + nicknames - you can not believe
this ...

> Sure this might work for our case but
> as we are doing it from scratch, somehow it doesn't feel right.
> Anyways, I need to research this deeper to perhaps maybe find a
> pattern.

I'm not very optimistic.  You are dealing with human beeings - that's a
bit different than code. :-)

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--