[Teammetrics-discuss] Updates -- working multiple names handling

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 18:22:59 UTC 2011

Hi!

repository.update() (just to see the code, you can leave the testing for later)

Though I still have not got the Debian package working properly --
there is other good news :-)

In the latest update, there is a file called: updatenames.py . This is
automatically called everytime the liststat script runs but there
other interesting things that you will notice. Instead of manually
calling UPDATE queries, you just need to populate the NAMES mapping
and the script will automatically handle the rest. Have a look at the
code and you will be happy!

So this takes care of names maintaining problem. Adding a new name is
as easy as adding an item to a dictionary. Here is the result of the
statistics from debian-med-commit:

liststat=# SELECT name, COUNT(name) FROM listarchives GROUP BY name
ORDER BY count DESC LIMIT 10;

          name          | count
------------------------+-------
 Charles Plessy         |  2083
 Andreas Tille          |  2016
 Steffen Möller         |   700
 Mathieu Malaterre      |   590
 David Paleino          |   534
 Steven M. Robbins      |   275
 olivier sallou         |   169
 Debian Wiki            |   155
 Jan Beyer              |   120
 Alexandre Mestiashvili |   100
(10 rows)

The names and encodings have been maintained :-)

> I can neither see any advantages nor disadvantages.  So I'm
> quite neutral to this suggestion.

I have handled this the way I told you about. The advantage is that
like in the blends-commit mailing list, there were names like:

    tille at users.alioth.debian.org
    plessy at users.alioth.debian.org

We will be saving: 'tille' and 'plessy'. So in the updatenames.py
file, you just have to add the items as: Charles: plessy and Tille:
tille, not requiring the end part :-)

Though you might not test out the code at this stage, the query should
comfort you that we are on the right track. As far as the Debian
package is concerned, as this is the first time I am doing it, it can
take some more time. I didn't get much time yesterday or today to read
about it but it should be done soon. Sorry for the delay but I wanted
to get this names thing handled, which now it is.

Also, we have again not got any reply from lists.debian.org . What do
you recommend we do now?

>From tomorrow, I will be starting work on the deb package, removing
the encoding errors and the repositories parsing . I hope this is OK
with you.

That's all for tonight.

--
Sukhbir.