[Teammetrics-discuss] Phase I: Statistics for mailing lists on Alioth

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon May 30 07:12:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:08:40PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:

> The lists which have to be parsed, how do we handle that? Do we:
>
> 1. Save the list names in the script itself (current approach),
> 2. Allow the user to pass the list names to scan as an argument(s) to the list,
> 3. Read the list names from a file.

I strongly prefer 3. to separate code from data.  Having the option to
enable the user giving an additional argument might be reasonable for
testing purposes - but I'd regard having a configuration file mentioning
the lists to parse as the default way to run the script.

> I think we also need to include a check mechanism where a list is not
> parsed again so there is no redundancy.

Yes.  Perhaps storing the md5sum of a scanned mbox somewhere - probably
in a database table because we have the data in the database anyway
might server this purpose.

> This should be ready by tomorrow (downloading + parsing + getting the
> relevant information).

Hope that my subscription to the list will be done until then ...

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de