[Teammetrics-discuss] NNTPStat completed successfully.

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Nov 4 11:05:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 03:45:28PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Try to run the script and populate the database (I haven't done that).
> I am not touching it because then I don't know to delete/ what not to
> delete from the database :)

I was running nntpstat and it went without runtime errors.  However,
we probably need to fix some things.  I found a strange posting in
Debian Edu:

teammetrics=# SELECT * from listarchives where project = 'debian-edu' and archive_date < '2002-01-01' ;

It reveals a posting in 1989 when this list did definitely not exist.
Could you try to hunt down from where this wrong date came?  Perhaps the
wrong field is checked?

There is also a non-person author remaining in Debian Edu:
Skolelinux_archive_I.

In Debian Jr list I guess 'Andreas T' and 'Tille A' will be the
same person. :-)

The Debian Lex graph looks *very* different from what I just calculated
with the old code

    http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_lex.png

Debian-newmaint list has a non-person poster: 'NM Front D'

Perhaps you can check the other lists for those fragments.

> Also, please go through [0] about Google Code-In. I am making you
> aware of this for two reasons:
>
> a). We can maybe get a student to work on our project this year. I can
> be the mentor :)

It would be cool if you would mentor something - you can always learn a
lot when mentoring.  For me it seems to time consuming to do another
mentoring (besides all other stuff).

> b). You might have your own work for some debian-med project and if
> you are looking to get a student involved, you can put up a task.

Yes.  But I learned in the past that chances to get a student for this
are not particularly high - specifically because this effort is
addressing younger people with less skills.  I do not thing that our
tasks are specifically hard to solve - it is just that those young
people might be to shy to apply for them.

> Google Code-In is like Summer of Code, but with ages 13 - 17 and the
> tasks are easier.

So we nned to write down a reasonable task description which sounds
attractive enough.  I decided that my investment of time to do does not
fit the expected outcome (chances are IMHO high that we do not have any
applicant).

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--