[Teammetrics-discuss] GSoC Idea: Improving Debian Team Activity Metrics

Ershad K ershad92 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:27:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm Ershad Kunnakkadan, a second year computer science student from
India. I've been using GNU/Linux distros including Debian, Archlinux,
Fedora and openSUSE for more than 4 years and have fallen in love with
them. I've been looking for ways to contribute back to community and
have contributed a little through organisations like SMC (Swathanthra
Malayalam Computing)[1]

I saw the project 'Improving Debian Team Activity Metrics' in Debian
GSoC 2012 project ideas wiki and I'm interested in doing it under
Sukhbir Singh's and Andreas Tille's  mentorship. I can do programming in
C, C++, Python and Ruby. It will be really nice if you could allow me to do
this in Ruby on Rails. I read you prefer Python and Django/ Pylons framework,
and thank you for giving an opportunity to convince another option
('..but if you
feel otherwise, convince us and we might agree.' - From wiki :)). Here
are my points:

1. Ruby on Rails helps us to design and implement REST API easily
2. As we will be programming in Ruby, the code will be more readable
and easy to maintain
3. Ruby on Rails helps us to generate commonly used code very easily.
Like CRUD functionality.
4. Ruby on Rails has a very high productivity curve
5. Thousands of Ruby gems are available for statistics, graph
generation and for many other purposes
6. Ruby on Rails is easy to deploy with Apache using modrails[2]
7. I'm a Ruby on Rails programmer and have been learning it with
passion for months and here's my first little Ruby on Rails app -
http://rornews.heroku.com :)

Please tell me if you allow Ruby on Rails for this project. If you
like to know more about me, please visit

Blog      : http://ershadk.com/blog
Github   : http://github.com/ershad
Resume : http://ershadk.com/cv/ershadk-cv.pdf

[1] http://smc.org.in