[Teammetrics-discuss] [GSoC] Getting Started :)

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Tue May 8 06:50:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

For the web interface? Feel free to go ahead.

Yes, I was reading about unit testing. It is not very difficult :)
Different web frameworks have their own testing guidelines, so once the
framework is fixed, I can look further into it.

If you are talking about the existing code, I tried once to write unit
> tests for liststat.py, archiveparser.py and commitstat.py. And I
> didn't make much progress because quite frankly, I couldn't think of
> possible test cases that could match our requirements.

This should be the tricky part of testing. Even I was wondering how does
one take all possibility into account.

> If you have any suggestions about this, please share. I don't like it
> also that we don't have proper tests for our code and when I make a
> big change (or even a small one) say for archiveparser.py, I have this
> VM where I use the http://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/ list and
> then do a sample run on that using a hacky script I wrote.

Definitely. I would like to help on this one. Probably, I do not know
enough to start now, but I should learn about this during the course of the
project and will work on this then. :)

> Feel free to ask us anything related to the database structure if you
> have doubts.

Let me have a look into the database. I'll get back to you.

Also I am planing to write a weekly report that I will send to this list
every Friday/Saturday, detailing the work done in the current week and work
to be done the next week so that you guys can have a better idea as to what
I am upto.

Currently I am experimenting with the D3[1] library. It is not the easiest
to use but is amazingly powerful. The new github graphs are built using
this library and can definitely be used in this project, if I can
successfully get it to be useful for our basic requirements.

[1] : http://d3js.org/

PS: In the last mail I said I am attaching my key. Sorry, I forgot to
attach! I am doing it with this mail.

--
Regards,
Vipin Nair