[Teammetrics-discuss] Acceptable web framework on a debian.org host?

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:44:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. This thread got lost in the noise.

> Welcome to the club!

Thank you :)

> The one big requirement is that it is packaged in Debian
> stable+backports. That means you not only have to look at the framework,
> but also to its version, and carefully check the dependencies you intend
> to use.

Ok, I'll definitely make a note of it when finalizing a framework with
my mentors.

> That said, it's something one can very comfortably live with, as long as
> one picks a framework with a reasonable upstream.

Flask has quiet reasonable development speed and is a Pocoo project
which certainly is credible.

>  Versions of Django are 1.2.3 in Squeeze and 1.3.1 in
>  Squeeze+backports. I have it in my todo list to work on a backport of
>  Django 1.4. You probably want to target at least 1.3.1 now that 1.4 is
>  out[1].

Noted.

>  debtags.debian.net and nm.debian.org are written in Django 1.2 and
>  deployed on DSA administered machines via mod_wsgi. I intend to
>  forward port them to 1.3.x or 1.4 if I manage to backport it, and it
>  shouldn't be much work considering Django's good record of API
>  stability.
>
>  If you choose Django, you probably want to get in touch with me: I
>  have a pluggable app with the Debian site layout, experience in
>  deploying it and code to make it work with the DACS single signon,
>  if you need it[2].

That would be of great help if we decide on Django as our web
framework. Please give me some time to get back to you. I will need to
evaluate the pro's and con's of different framework and pick one best
suited for the project.

>  Both Flask and Werkzeug are 0.6 in Stable. I don't know what's changed
>  in 0.8 since I don't follow Flask that closely.
>
>  dde.debian.net is written with Flask 0.6 and deployed on DSA
>  administered machines via FastCGI.

Here is the change log, if you might want to have a look.
https://github.com/mitsuhiko/flask/blob/master/CHANGES

There is only one backward incompatible change from version 06. to
0.8, but there are few bug release in between. Not sure if this it the
right forum to ask but is there a Flask 0.8 backport in squeeze? I
checked Flask v0.8 is available in testing.

>  If you are building a simple site and all you need is Flask, then I'm
>  sure you'll be fine. If instead you intend to use other extra modules,
>  be careful about dependencies: for example, python-flaskext.wtf is
>  currently NOT in Squeeze. But then if you start plugging all sorts of
>  bits on top of Flask, you probably want Django in the first place.

I'll discuss the project requirements with mentors in detail once
again and fix the framework. I see that django will be preferred for a
medium complexity project.

--
Regards,
Vipin Nair