[tryton-debian] Force removal of gnuhealth* packages in sid

Mathias Behrle mathiasb at m9s.biz
Fri Sep 19 11:01:40 UTC 2014

* Emilien Klein: " Re: Force removal of gnuhealth* packages in sid? (Was: Re:
  GNU Health autoremove from testing)" (Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:52:31 +0200):

> > Hi Emilien,

> >> FYI I filed the ROM bug to remove gnuhealth from unstable:
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=762136
> >
> > Does this mean you have given up packaging GNUhealth at all?
>
> Yes, that was the gist of my posts in June.
>
> I am currently writing up a clearer post meant to debian-med, tryton
> and upstream mailing lists.
> The code is still available in the svn repo, should anyone want to
> pick it up again (but read my message first, unless the release
> schedule gets looked at there's not much point as it results in
> unbuildable package most of the time)
>    +Emilien

Thanks, Emilien, for clearing up further the matter.

Sharing my personal point of view:

With the current release cycles of Debian, Tryton and GnuHealth being not
compatible we will run continously into the situation, where either the
gnuhealth modules will force the Tryton suite to ship an outdated version with
the next stable release of Debian or afford a considerable amount of work to
split out versioned packages for gnuhealth.

That said, the much easier way to go is to integrate the gnuhealth modules in
the relevant sections of debian.tryton.org (carrying back- and forward ports for
all supported Tryton series to Debian stable and testing). This will make them
available including the bug fix releases for Tryton as well as gnuhealth, which
is way preferable than to stick with just only security releases in Debian
main. Of course the unhappy downside of this scenario is, that gnuhealth won't
be in Debian main. Nevertheless I am tending to take that pill, because from a
user point of view this is the much better experience and from the maintainer
point of view means considerable less work.

To sum up, from my side I will promote to take the procedure above and be happy
to include gnuhealth into debian.tryton.org, probably not taking an evtl. RFA,
rather comment on it with the argumentation outlined above.

Thanks for your work,
Mathias

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6