[Tux4kids-discuss] New Website

Tim Holy holy at wustl.edu
Tue Feb 17 13:30:38 UTC 2009

Hi Matthew,

On Sunday 15 February 2009 07:41:50 pm Matthew McSpadden wrote:
> Hey all,
> The time has come for some input from the community on the new website.
> We wanted to get a functional template before presenting it to see what
> you think. I would appreciate getting feedback on 3 specific things
> (there will be other later).
>
> First, if anyone who gets this would let Pam and I know what you think
> of the basic layout of the website. The colors, pictures, and the
> general feel for it. The link is
> http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/newsitetest/

I think it looks great! It will be a huge step forward compared to what we
have. I can help write some of the text-based content, as long as you can wire
it in :-).

Specific comments:
1. As discussed with Pamela earlier, I and several of the other developers
would prefer a penguin that was in keeping with the "Tux" style. We have a
couple high-resolution Tux files in the TuxMath repository (bigtux, plus any
SVG file). You might be able to find some other tux SVG files at
http://www.openclipart.org/.

2. I think a "for developers" link would also be helpful. We can put up some
general information for getting started developing for TuxMath/TuxType and
direct them to the more developers-oriented project home page.

3. Will the "Home" link have "News"?

> Second, there was some talk of the current released files (downloads)
> page. Many people think it is difficult for a typical user to find
> things. I would have to agree. I have done some research on various
> sites and how they present their downloads. I looked at other open
> source projects as well as other program sites, computer sites, etc. I
> made up some dummy pages with 4 different ideas on how we might be able
> to display the downloads more effectively. I did them up all this
> afternoone, so they are a bit rough. Perhaps we could use one of them or
> a combination of some of them. Let me know your thoughts. The link is
> http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/newsitetest/download.html

I like version 1.

Looks like a great start, thanks so much!

--Tim