[Tux4kids-discuss] [fwd] Dyslexic children

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Jul 26 16:01:10 UTC 2009

FYI, seen on schoolforge's mailing list:

----- Forwarded message from Vedran Vucic -----
<snip>

I work in the  Anglo American School and we have had dyslexic
children.  There are several kinds of dyslexia.  You have to consult
qualified person to determine which kind of dyslexia is  at question
and which exercises are recommended.
For example, we have had student who has had problems with
organization of text (right <-> left, bottom <-> top) presentation of
content in tables etc.
Also he did not have dyscalculia but he has had problems in solving
math tasks if numbers are written horizontally.

Some general remarks may be considered although sometimes individual
variations may require modifications:
1. text should be written in shorter logical  units with headings and
subheadings
2. logical units should be divided in separate paragraphs
3. Avoid too much complex sentences
4. Between each paragraph there should  be 1.5 spaced or doublespaced
5. avoid italic and fonts with serifs, simpler is better
6. If you need to emphasize text please use bold emphasis
7. you can have text to audio software so kids can access audio content
8. please check are there any other associated symptoms syndroms
sometimes with additional motoric impairments

Indeed, please check dyslexia concerned sites, but lately I got this too:
   http://www.irlen.com/index.php

Best wishes,

Vedran

----- End forwarded message -----