[Tux4kids-discuss] How useful is Tux4kids for older kids?

Matthew McSpadden webmaster at anvilsmithtech.com
Mon Jul 27 18:14:18 UTC 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 09:05:34PM -0400, Nathaniel Fries wrote:
>
>> He's already familiar with the basic usage of computers and arithmetic
>> (he's going into 6th grade), so I'm wondering how useful TuxType and
>> TuxMath would be for teaching him?
>>

> Just FYI, there's plenty of educational software geared towards older
> kids, outside of Tux4Kids.  Some of the KDEedu stuff, for example.
>
> SchoolForge.net's list of software might be useful.  Gotta run, good luck!

Another note, I am a computer teacher at a small school, and although we
use the Tux4Kids software mostly for the elementary (k-6th), I also use
it with some 7th and 8th graders as well as some highschoolers even.
They love the tuxpaint game even at that level. And the typing game,
although geared for younger kids, helps them all practice typing.
Definitely look at the Edubuntu stuff, and the schoolforge that Bill
listed as well. But I'd say the tux4kid stuff is fine for Junior High or
higher depending on their aptitude. Some of the other teachers have
assigned TuxMath to 10th and even 11th graders who were struggling with
math. It will depend some on how well your son is doing in math and
typing skills.