[Tux4kids-discuss] Toddlers on computers

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 8 06:22:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:08:14PM -0800, brian schofield wrote:
>    My granddaughter loves to play on the computer but  is too young to avoid
>    dangerous key strokes. What is needed is an application that causes sound
>    or visual events for every key stroke possible and disables all the usual
>    keys that stop the computer working. For a grownup to regain control, a
>    combination such as page down/esc or other far apart keys would be needed.
>    Hope the geniuses at tux4kids can come up with something.
>    Brian.

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback.

Tux Paint already has a "disable the quit button" option which,
combined with fullscreen mode, helps prevent kids from exiting the app
and doing things outside the program (but by no means guarantees it).
(It also has the ability to disable, or limit, its printing functionality.)

Of course, I think Tux Paint is for kids a bit younger than the other
two Tux4Kids apps.  (The other two are much less appropriate for
_toddlers_, I think, while Tux Paint should be reasonably suitable.)

I'm not sure if the other two apps have any features like Tux Paint's,
or if there are any plans.  I'll let their developers speak up.
(I just wanted to make sure you were aware of Tux Paint's options,
since it should already do exactly what you asked for ;) )

-bill!