[Tux4kids-discuss] [GSoC 2010] Project questions

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:33:57 UTC 2010

Hi Marcin,

> I have some knowledge of C and also am familiar with basic SDL. I also use
> make and git as standard tools in most of my school project. I would like to
> refactor common code from Tux Math and Tux Typing into a common library.

The refactoring was started last summer and so far consists of the
code in git://git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/t4k-common.git.

So far, libt4k-common duplicates code contained within tuxmath.  We
will need to adapt tuxmath by gradually using the functions from
libt4k and removing their counterparts from tuxmath itself.

After that, we will have to "port" tuxtype to use libt4k, which will
be a much bigger change.

Also, we will have to adapt the build setups for the platforms we
support to take into account our new common library, as well as get it
packaged appropriately, etc.

I think the SDL 1.2 to 1.3 transition should be considered separately.

> I would also like to ask about some more details concerning project - should
> the library also include admin plugins?

Tux4kids-admin is a separate Qt4-based program - it doesn't share code
with the game programs themselves.

Best,

David Bruce