[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tuxmath-devel] [fwd] Invitation: Apply to be a Mentoring Organization for GCI [Google Code-In; like GSOC, but for teenagers]

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:08:41 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> Shall we participate?  Who out here would be available to administrate
> Tux4Kids' participation (first step being: apply before the Oct. 29th deadline!)

This doesn't sound nearly as time-intensive as GSoC, so I guess I
would have time to administer it.  I certainly can fill out the
application.  The main early-on thing is to get together a task list,
which is supposed to be organized into the following categories:

1. Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
2. Documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents
3. Outreach: Tasks related to community management and outreach/marketing
4. Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of
high quality
5. Research: Tasks related to studying a problem and recommending solutions
6. Training: Tasks related to helping others learn more
7. Translation: Tasks related to localization
8. User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user
interface design and interaction

The part I'm not quite clear on is how we will get the students' work
into our projects.  I suspect we would have them send us patches or
other file attachments, rather than get them to do commits into a
repository.

If the task list is set up like GSoC, we can use the Code-In web site
as a sort of wiki where members of our team can post to-dos.

I suggest that anyone who might want to help please say so on this
list, just to get an idea of our participation.

Best,

David Bruce