[Tux4kids-discuss] GSOC 2012 Tux4Kids Mobile

Brendan Luchen cheezmeister at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 02:30:33 UTC 2012

Hi Marius,

> I'm Marius Constantinescu, final year student from Romania. I'm interested
> in creating applications for iOS with Tux. I have a bit of iOS game
> development experience, gained by learning on my own.

You've just said the magic words of FOSS ;)

> I think it's useless to create Tux Typing for mobile, because the keyboard
> is different, it takes almost half of the screen. Moreover, typing is not
> the main way to interact with mobile devices. Tux Paint should only be
> targeted on iPads (the display on iPods and iPhones is too small to be used
> as a canvas). That's why, I would like to create Tux Math for iOS, and
> later, other educational games with Tux.

Cool. Keep in mind that while it's fine to focus on iOS, it should be
easily portable to (at least) Android, and preferably many other devices.
So rather than a plain old iOS app, you'll want to use a cross-platform
framework such as Phonegap, Appcelerator, or Sencha Touch (those are the
ones that have been discussed so far).

Taking into account that the main factor that decides if a game is
> successful or not is its graphics,

You haven't heard of Minecraft, I take it!

> I am curious whether there will be a graphics designer who can help us
> with the visual images. I'm confident that I can handle the programming
> part, but a game for kids should also look good. I have some experience
> with photoshop, but I'm far from being a good game graphics designer, and I
> will need some images. I saw that there are some pictures with Tux on git
> repos, and I will use free images from the web, but it would still be nice
> if a graphics designer could help.

AFAIK, there are no dedicated artists or graphic designers with Tux4Kids.
The typical approach to getting graphics is to fire up the GIMP and hope
for the best. There have been a few people who can wrangle graphics better
than the code monkeys, but these people come and go, and we take what we
can get. That said, if you can convince somebody you know to spend some
time putting together high-quality graphics for an iOS version, so much the
better.

Cheers,
Brendan