[Tux4kids-discuss] Introduction e-mail about GSoC 2013

Aleksandar Lazarov aleksandar.lazarov1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:54:28 UTC 2013

Good evening to all,

My name is Aleksandar Lazarov (call me Aleks), and I'm interested in
participating in Google Summer of Code 2013, more exactly on the
tux4kids project.

Little info about me: I'm a third year student at the Faculty of
Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies, in Skopje - Macedonia.

I've dealt with GNU/Linux since primary school, and I'm a proud Arch
Linux user in the past couple of years.

Regarding the programing part, I'm experienced in C and C++ (Python is
another love of mine), as I'm mainly focused on embedded programing, so
C/C++ comes naturally to me.

I'm also a member of the Free Software Macedonia NGO[1] organization
and, the only hacklab in Macedonia, KIKA[2]. Within these organizations
I've worked on several FLOSS projects including C/C++, giving lectures
and courses on C/C++ to younger students, and introductory courses in
C/C++, as well as several C/hardware related projects (Arduino, LED
Cubes, hardware hacking).

Because I'm using GNU/Linux for almost 8 years, I'm familiar with Git,
Autotools, Make, Sockets, Linux libraries, as I use them most of the time.

I want to contribute to the tux4kids project because I love teaching,
and I always want to share my knowledge with the world. I think that
using tux4kids is a great way of spreading knowledge and having fun
while doing it.

Regarding the area of my possible contribution. I love to get my hand
dirty with C. So I'd like to give the idea of porting the tux4kids
software to use the SDL 2.0 library, adapting Tux Typing to use the
t4k_common library and even make a LAN extension for Tux Typing. This
implies fixing any pesky bugs along the way :-)

Can anyone please be so kind that will give me some pointers on now to
proceed ?

For any additional information, please feel free to ask me.

Regards,
Aleks

[1] - https://slobodensoftver.org.mk/chlenovi/aleks
[2] - http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/KIKA

--
Aleksandar (Aleks) Lazarov
- Student at the Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Information